Badajoz Airport (BJZ)
History, Facts and Overview
(Badajoz, Extremadura, Spain)
In the late 1930s, a military airfield was built close to Badajoz, next to the River Guadiana. However, whilst this airfield served the community well, it was not suitable for expansion and so in the 1940s, a site for a new airport was found, next to Talaveera La Real, on the easterly outskirts of Badajoz.
Complete with long runway, control towers and several hangars, Badajoz Airport was completed in the early 1950s and used solely by the military.
In 1958, the airport began its first domestic passenger flights and around 20 years later, a popular route to Madrid was established and facilities upgraded. A further terminal and apron were built during the 1980s and are still very much in use at Badajoz Airport (BJZ) today.
Although the terminal has limited facilities, airport passengers will find all basic amenities including ATMs. There is a single café, the Cafeteria del Aeropuerto, which offers a variety of food and drink, along with two travel agents to assist travellers with their local vacation plans. Car hire is provided by two reputable companies and the airport offers short-term and long-term parking in its large parking lot, where there are around 150 spaces.